Sunday 21 August 2011

I'm a crier.

I have a soft spot the size of North America for my 5 brothers. The 7 (seven, sieben, sept, saba) siblings in my family are all spread out across Canada, so I generally only see them once every 365 days. Since I'm one of the youngest, I've been saying good-bye to my brothers for a really really long time. My first brother to leave the nest, went away to boot camp for a summer and I was a two day wreck. You would think after 15 years of good-byes I'd be able to sail through it. Nope.
To this day, I can't say good-bye without silently crying a Euphrates. And I always want to say something awesome like, "I love you, it was so good to see you!". Instead its usually *sniiiiiiiff, breathe, look into the distance, wipe nose on tissue*, with MAYBE one or two words that are intelligable. I lose all composure if one of them tells me they love me, or "take care kiddo". It's the "kiddo" that gets me, that and the fact that they give me really sincere eye contact. I am terrible with confrontation, even if it is super positive and loving, like well wishes from a brother.
Want to kick it up another notch?? Hey Dorothy, why not glance over at your younger sister whose big blue eyes are already glossy and brimming, uh-oh, oh-no, BE STRONG DOROTHY! BE STRONG FOR YOUR SISTER! Not a chance. We will probably squint at eachother through our tears and garble out something like, "this sucks".
Yeah, real good time when my brothers are around. Real good time.

P.S. My last single brother is now engaged, so...that sort of defeats my purpose for starting this blog. I was going to sell him off to highest bidder after sending out a series of probing questions and requests for video applications to lucky bachelorettes. Now what will I do all winter...

brother burrito!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Yay on the last remaining single Gunnink! You have a nice sister inlaw coming Dor, that's great! I only met her a couple times, but she was really great!
    ps love how you write, write a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to ruin your winter plans dor! it's all randy's fault. i said we should wait but no...lol
    i could still send you a probing video if you want? wait? what???
    :p

    ReplyDelete